This article offers helpful tips for prepping your home for hosting guests this holiday season.
Easy Prep Tips for Holiday Hosting in 2022
The holidays are here! And at Heritage Park Laundry Essentials, we cannot wait to gather with family and friends. But for some of us, the last couple of holiday seasons have been a bit on the quiet side with smaller gatherings and shorter visits. This year, lots of us are heading back to hosting holiday house guests for the first time in a few years.
That means it’s time to clean, prep, and roll out the red carpet to welcome visitors back into our homes. The Heritage Park clean team is offering up some of our favorite tips and tricks for getting your home ready to host this holiday season:
1. Deep clean early (and touch up often). If your house needs a deep cleaning, get it out of the way a week or two in advance, ideally before putting up your holiday décor or Christmas tree, then plan to do a fast touch-up closer to your guest’s arrival. Make it a family affair, with all hands on deck. Even your tiniest elves will happily pitch in if you set them loose with a feather duster. (And be sure to stock up on paper towels, toilet paper, and extra toiletries before guests arrive).
2. Tackle the guest bathroom first. A fresh clean towel definitely makes holiday visitors feel at home. Your towels may not have had heavy use recently, so pull them out and wash them before setting out for guests. Use Heritage Park All-Purpose Laundry Detergent, which is made to clean and care for fine fabric. Follow these instructions and never use fabric softener or dryer sheets on towels, as these leave a waxy build-up on fibers and damage absorbency. If your towels are a little tired looking but otherwise in good shape, the likely cause is build-up from hard water. To revive and restore your towels, wash them in warm or hot water with a cup of white vinegar (no detergent) and repeat with a half cup of baking soda (again no detergent). Learn more about keeping bath towels clean, soft, and absorbent here.
3. If you wash and inventory your guest towels and discover that they’re still not up to snuff, treat yourself to a new set. We love the midweight luxury and superior absorbency of Matouk Milagro towels; for a heavier spa feel, Yves Delorme Etoile towels, made in a cotton/modal blend, look stunning and perform beautifully.
4. Make a welcoming winter bed in the guest bedroom. Wash sheets and any bedding that needs it. Layer the guest bed for maximum luxury and comfort, with sheets, blankets, quilts, and a fluffy duvet cover; click here to see how to layer a beautiful bed. If your pillows and duvet cover need an upgrade, check out the many stylish offerings in down and down alternative fill from Scandia Home. And remember to toss an extra blanket in the closet and cozy throw like one of these from SFERRA across the foot of the bed
5. If you really want to spoil your overnight guests, enchant them with a beautiful night’s rest on apure silk pillowcase from Mulberry Park Silks. Along with being the pinnacle of luxury, these silk pillowcases tame tangles, frizz, and bedhead; minimize sleep wrinkles; keep hair and skin naturally moisturized; and regulate temperature for comfortable sleep in any conditions. Be sure when washing these lovely cases to only use our Silk & Wool Detergents. (And if you need the perfect last-minute gift, look no further than a silk pillowcase and accessory bundle from Mulberry Park Silks).
6. Haul out the holiday table linen and inspect it carefully. If you’re reusing the linens from Thanksgiving, give them a good going over; pre-treat any leftover stains; and wash with Heritage Park All Purpose Detergent. If you have the room, set your table—including China, silver, crystal, and non-perishable centerpieces or holiday decorations—well before guests arrive. It looks festive and takes a task off your plate during the busy time.
7. Do as much food and drink prep ahead of time as possible. Make a run for all beverages well in advance, and consider simplifying your offerings to soft drinks and a few adult beverages. Plan your meals, and source any special ingredients you need for that Hanukkah supper or Christmas dinner. If it makes your life easier, prepare some make-ahead dishes that can be frozen like lasagna or overnight French toast.
8. Help your guests to help you (and themselves). You should not feel overwhelmed just because you’re hosting. If friends and family are coming to stay and ask what they can bring or do, accept the help. Whether it’s drinks, desserts, snacks, or a side dish, most people are happy to contribute to the holiday festivities. As a host, it’s also thoughtful for you to give them a heads up regarding your plans (meal times, group activities, unscheduled or “down” time, etc.) so that they can feel comfortable and at home.
9. Expect stains. Truly, now is the height of what we call “stain season.” Aunt Betty spilled wine on the living room rug (again)? Dad dropped hollandaise sauce on the tablecloth? Your son has more chocolate trifle on his shirt than on his plate? Check, check, and check. But with a little prep, you won’t sweat any of it. Make stain fighting easy by setting up your laundry room or a corner of the kitchen with an enzyme stain solution made with a 1:1 mix of water and Heritage Park All-Purpose Laundry Detergent. When accidents happen (and they definitely will) act fast; blot, spray, and pre-soak immediately. Check out quick tips for fighting common stains here and a more detailed stain removal guide here. And keep a mesh laundry bag handy to toss your linen napkins in so you can quickly and safely wash between sit-down meals.
10. Relax and enjoy yourself. The holidays are made for celebrating, sharing joy, and being together with loved ones. And you deserve the very best of the season!
All of us at Heritage Park Laundry Essentials wish you and your family a wonderful holiday and a Happy New Year! Feel free to call us with any laundry or cleaning questions. We are here to help!
Heritage Park Laundry Essentials
At Heritage Park, caring for fine fabric is our passion. As lifelong collectors of luxury sheets, towels, and cloths, we found many commercially available "gentle detergents" either damaged our fabrics or didn't get the job done, leaving stains. We knew we could do better. So we developed a formula with the perfect balance of powerful -- yet safe -- ingredients designed to remove tough, set-in stains while remaining gentle on luxury linens. Please connect with us at (800) 977-1841 or visit our store or email us with any product feedback or cleaning questions.