10 Tips to keeping your fine linens and delicate garments safe
Whether it's fine bed, bath, and table linen; washable cashmere and wool blankets; or delicate garments made of silk, wool, or lace, your fine washables are a big investment. And with proper care, these beloved items should look beautiful and perform well for years to come. But taking great care of your laundered luxuries is about more than just choosing the right water temperature and wash cycle: you need the right detergent.
Most commercially available laundry detergents aren't good for cleaning luxury linen and clothing. The “gentle detergent” brands often don't clean well, while the standard “grocery store” brands are too harsh and can degrade fine linen. At Heritage Park Laundry Essentials, our Luxury All-Purpose Detergent and Luxury Silk and Wool Detergent are specially formulated to clean, tackle tough stains, and care for luxury linen, delicate clothes, and washable silk and wool.
We are certainly not the only luxury laundry detergent in the market, but we sincerely believe we are the best. Transparency and trust are essential to our company mission, which is why we're sharing ten important tips about what to look for a luxury laundry detergent.
- Choose a concentrated liquid formula. You may be hard pressed to find a luxury powdered detergent these days, but you should absolutely opt for concentrated liquid over powder or a detergent pod. Regular detergent liquids contain a lot of water; with a concentrated liquid, you use less and can titrate the appropriate amount needed to wash, soak, or pretreat a stain. A liquid detergent also dissolves more effectively in the washing machine.
Heritage Park Laundry Essentials offers concentrated liquid laundry detergent. You are not paying for added water and can use just a small amount.
- Check the price of the bottleand cost per load. Because luxury laundry detergents are usually concentrated, you have to evaluate the price in terms of how many loads each bottle will do and the cost of each. The amount needed per load will be on the label instructions so this will involve some quick math. You will certainly use less to hand-wash items (for example, lightweight silk garments in a sink or utility tub) or perhaps more for stain removal. You should be able to come up with an average cost per load based on your specific washing habits.
This can vary, but Heritage Park Laundry Essentials can clean approximately 21 washing machine loads per bottle, at an average cost of a little over $1 per load. Hand wash loads will cost less.
- Use an all-temperature, all-machine wash. Some luxury laundry detergents are formulated for cold-water washing only. This is quite limiting, as certain types of stains are most effectively removed with hot water. Similarly, some lines, such as your towel collection, benefit from an occasional hot water wash to brighten and remove build-up. We also recommend choosing a luxury laundry detergent that can be used in both HE and regular machines; the “regular” machines usually use a bit more detergent.
Heritage Park Laundry Essentials can be used in any temperature and in both regular and HE washing machines.
- Read the ingredient label carefully. The sulfates, phosphates, chlorine bleach, optical brightener, and other chemicals in commercial laundry detergent can damage delicate fabric and irritate your skin. Skip these potentially harmful chemicals and look for natural and naturally-derived ingredients that clean effectively and gently. A trustworthy company will be forthcoming about their ingredients. If the ingredients aren't clearly listed on the label, proceed with caution. If you can't find them anywhere on the company website, do not purchase the detergent.
All Heritage Park laundry soap is made with thoughtfully sourced, gentle ingredients. Our detergents are high-quality, high-performance formulas that are tough on stains and mild on fine washables. They are free from artificial fragrances, dyes, an preservatives and contain no sulfates, phosphates, chlorine bleach, or brighteners, You will see the ingredients listed on our product labels and our website.
Learn how and when to use an enzyme-based detergent. Laundry enzymes have grown enormously popular in recent years and with good reason: they are wonderful at breaking down stains. Laundry enzymes are what we like to call “position players” in the wash, with different types of enzymes targeting different stains including proteins, starches, fruit, and fats. In general, enzyme-based detergents, which are sometimes called “biological detergents,” are a good choice for washing plant-based fabrics such as linen, cotton, and bamboo as well as man-made fabrics including microfiber, rayon, and polyester. An enzyme-based detergent can also be used as a pre-soak or spot-treatment for stains on these fabrics.
When it comes to washing protein-based fabrics like silk, wool, or cashmere, however, enzyme detergents will actually degrade the integrity of the fabric and therefore should be avoided. For regular washing of these items, use a gentle, enzyme-free formula.
Heritage Park Laundry essentials offers two luxury detergent formulas: our signature Luxury All Purpose Detergent, which contains enzymes, and our Luxury Silk and Wool Detergent, which is enzyme free.
- Be skin smart. Many ingredients in commercial laundry detergents can irritate and trigger an allergic reaction on sensitive skin. Choose a luxury detergent that is pH neutral, as detergents that are either too acidic or too basic can irritate skin. Similarly, check the ingredient list for common skin irritants such as sulfates and heavy fragrance. Of course, it is possible to develop a sensitivity to almost any formula, but checking for these common triggers is the best place to start.
Heritage Park Laundry Essentials unscented detergents are hypoallergenic and pediatrician and dermatologist tested.
- Pick your scent, if any. While some of us like climbing into freshly scented bed sheets, others prefer their linen and be washed without added fragrance. Additionally, some people are sensitive to fragrance and scent of any kind. The level of scent in your laundry products really comes down to a matter of personal preference and comfort level. We do always caution against heavily scented laundry detergent. You will find that some products sold as “luxury laundry detergent” are made specifically as companion products to scented candles; they are heavily fragranced and sold specifically for their scent. If you are sensitive, avoid these entirely.
Heritage Park Laundry Essentials signature detergents are fragrance free with a naturally clean smell. We also offer a light fresh scent option in our All-Purpose Luxury Detergent (Shore Breeze) and Luxury Silk and Wool Detergent (Lavender Mist).
- Look for environmentally friendly formulas. In today's world, sustainability matters in every aspect of life. Your detergent should be gentle on the planet in both manufacturing and use; biodegradable; non-toxic; and safe for septic and grey water waste systems.
Along with being completely biodegradable, all Heritage Park Laundry Essentials products are grey water- and septic- safe; approved by pediatricians and dermatologists for sensitive skin; never tested on animals. We've taken the extra step of becoming Leaping Bunny certified to meet independent standards for being made entirely without animal testing through every phase of product development and manufacturing.
- Check out the website. Reputable detergent manufacturers will have a website that offers ingredient lists; instructions; helpful information; companion products; and more. You should be able to learn more about the products and how to use them and find answers to common questions.
The Heritage Park Laundry Essentials website is user friendly and easy to navigate. You'll find links for detergent and related products; information and ingredients; a detailed blog that discusses all things laundry-related; and simple instructions for contacting us with questions or feedback.
- Know who you're buying from. Many seemingly “artisanal” and “independent” luxury detergents are actually owned by multinational consumer goods corporations. This can lead to lack of transparency, marketing shortcuts, and perhaps even the use of inferior ingredients. We think you deserve to know whether you are buying from a small company or a major conglomerate.
Heritage Park Laundry Essentials a family-owned business proudly headquartered in Branford, CT. Trust and transparency are our core values. You'll find our ingredients prominently listed with an explanation of how each works. We will tell you how to use our products most effectively, and answer any questions you have. When you call our headquarters, you will be speaking either to our CEO or a member of senior staff.
Welcome to Heritage Park Laundry Essentials
At Heritage Park, caring for fine fabric is our passion. As lifelong collectors of luxury sheets, towels, and cloths, we found many commercially available "gentle detergents" either damaged our fabrics or didn't get the job done, leaving stains. We knew we could do better. So we developed a formula with the perfect balance of powerful -- yet safe -- ingredients designed to remove tough, set-in stains while remaining gentle on luxury linens.
Please connect with us at (800) 977-1841 or visit our store or email us with any product feedback or cleaning questions. We'd love to tell you more about how our products can help care for your fine washables and heirloom linen.