This article from Heritage Park Laundry Essentials explains how to store liquid laundry detergent (especially in extreme temperatures) to preserve its shelf life and effectiveness.
Storing Detergent in Extreme Weather
How do you store laundry detergent when it’s THIS hot outside? Summer of 2023 is breaking temperature records across the country. During recent heat waves, the Heritage Park Clean Team has been fielding questions about how best to store detergent in extreme heat. With more warm weather ahead of us, now is a great time to share tips for storing our concentrated liquid detergent formulas. Proper detergent storage during hot (and cold!) weather can help keep your laundry routine smooth and hassle free, no matter where the mercury is.
- Avoid sunlight and heat. Store Heritage Park Laundry Detergents in a climate-controlled space away from sunlight and heat. We use an open shelf in our laundry room that is a foot or so above the washing machine and away from the heat of the dryer to store laundry supplies. (Check out our tips for organizing laundry space to tame clutter here).
- Store at room temperature. Our detergent stores best between 50 and 85 degrees. If left at higher temperatures for a prolonged period, your detergent may turn cloudy or begin to separate, neither of which will affect the potency of the detergent. If your washer and dryer is not in a climate-controlled space (for example a basement or garage with no air conditioning) store your detergent in a cool room in the house until temperature moderates. Similarly, stash your detergent in a warmer space when the temperature outside drops.
- Don’t decant. Keep your detergent in the original airtight container with the lid capped in between use. Decanting Heritage Park Detergent into any other bottle, detergent dispenser, or glass jar runs the risk of contamination. The exception to this is reusing our plastic container bottles with the specially designed refill packs we sell.
- Avoid humidity. Of course, liquid detergent won’t clump up in a humid room the way powder detergent will. However, the humidity can cause mold and bacteria to grow on the bottle, so it is best to avoid these spaces.
- Don’t stockpile to excess. We produce our liquid detergent in small batches for maximum quality control. In general, a bottle has a shelf life of 18 months. It can also safely be used past the expiration date; however, be aware the strength of the natural laundry enzymes in our All-Purpose Laundry Detergent may diminish over time (after the expiration date).
- Gently swirl the bottle before using. If you’ve stored your detergent in a hot spot, give it a gentle swirl before using. DO NOT shake or flip the bottle top to bottom. Instead, keep the bottle cap right side up, hold in your hand, and swirl in a circular motion to mix any separation that may have occurred. Don’t dilute with water.
- Always follow manufacturer’s care label directions and never use fabric softener, chlorine bleach, or dryer sheets. Keep these dangerous products away from your laundry and your laundry room and you’ll have plenty of space to store your detergent. Learn why dryer sheets and fabric softener are a bad idea here.
- Safety first! If you have children in the home, aways store detergent out of reach from curious little hands (childproof locked cabinet, high shelf).
An Environmentally-Friendly Detergent to Feel Good About
If this summer’s extreme heat has you worried about the environment, you’re not alone. That’s why every laundry product Heritage Park Laundry Essentials makes contains natural and naturally-derived ingredients and under strict stewardship guidelines.
- A short list of natural ingredients (read our ingredient lists here) including powerful laundry enzymes in our All-Purpose formula.
- NO dyes, sulfates, phosphates, chlorine, bleach or brighteners. Learn more here.
- Fragrance free detergents are lab-certified hypoallergenic (certified by a third-party testing facility, AMA Laboratories, to be hypoallergenic, non-allergenic, as well as sensitization and allergy tested).
- Fragrance-free detergents are dermatologist- and pediatrician tested.
- Biodegradable and safe for septic and graywater systems.
- Leaping Bunny Approved as never tested on animals.
- Made in an EPA registered facility that is Sedex certified, reflecting our commitment to responsible sourcing, supply chain transparency, and sustainable and responsible business practices.
- Reusable bottles can be refilled with 64 oz. refill packs (saves 80% of the plastic over using bottles alone).
We are a family-run business that takes great pride in our products. Everything we make is produced with the utmost care to clean effectively while being safe for people, pets, and the planet.
Heritage Park Laundry Essentials
At Heritage Park, caring for fine fabric is our passion. As lifelong collectors of luxury sheets, towels, and cloths, we found many commercially available "gentle detergents" either damaged our fabrics or didn't get the job done, leaving stains. We knew we could do better. So we developed a formula with the perfect balance of powerful -- yet safe -- ingredients designed to remove tough, set-in stains while remaining gentle on luxury linens. Please connect with us at (800) 977-1841 or visit our store or email us with any product feedback or cleaning questions.