Brooklinen luxury bedding is known for high-quality materials, durability, and softness. This article outlines how to wash your Brooklinen bedding to maintain its look, feel, and performance.
If you’ve jumped on the Brooklinen sheets bandwagon, you’re not alone. Founded in 2014, Brooklinen now boasts more than 2 million customers who swear by the high-quality, affordable bed linen as an essential part of their sleep routines. Brooklinen sells classic cotton percale sheets; luxe cotton sateen sheets; cozy brushed flannel; soft washed linen; and indulgent heathered cashmere styles. Whichever collection captures your fancy, getting the most out of your Brooklinen sheets always comes down to knowing how best to wash, dry, and care for them.
At Heritage Park, we are linen lovers just like you. And we’re here with the answers you need. Follow these guidelines for washing your Brooklinen luxury sheets to make them last longer while looking and feeling great.
How to Wash Brooklinen Cotton and Linen Sheets
Brooklinen offers cotton sheets in three collections: Classic Percale, Luxe Sateen (both made with long staple cotton), and Brushed Flannel. All three of these collections are made from 100% cotton and come in a variety of sizes, colors, and patterns. Brooklinen also sells Washed Linen sheets made from 100% European Flax. Cotton and linen sheets are sold in a “core set” that includes a flat sheet, fitted sheet, and two pillowcases, or a “hardcore” bundle that adds a duvet cover and extra pillowcases.
No matter the size or style, Brooklinen cotton and linen sheets can be washed following these directions.
- Choose the Right Detergent: Heritage Park All-Purpose Laundry Detergent. Selecting the right detergent is the first and most important step in washing your fine cotton and linen bedding. You want a mild detergent that is gentle on the fine cotton and linen fibers yet also powerful enough to effectively clean and remove tough stains. Heritage Park All-Purpose Detergent perfectly fits the bill. It is a concentrated, pH-neutral formula made with all-natural, plant-based ingredients and a proprietary blend of laundry enzymes to clean and remove stains (learn how laundry enzymes work here). It comes in a Fragrance-Free formula that is hypoallergenic and pediatrician- and dermatologist tested; and three gentle scents including Lavender Mist, Shore Breeze, and Spring Magnolia. It contains no harsh chemicals, including dyes, phosphates, sulfates, chlorine, bleach, or brighteners and has been Leaping Bunny approved as never being tested on animals.
- Always read the care label BEFORE washing. This is universal good advice for Brooklinen bedding and anything you put in your washing machine. Carefully following the manufacturer’s guidelines is essential to not damaging your bedding. Our helpful guide to deciphering laundry symbols.
- Pre-treat stains. You should pre-treat any stains or spots prior to laundering. Most stains are protein-based and -- for cotton and linen sheets, pillowcases, and comforter covers -- can safely be removed with laundry enzymes. We recommend applying a small bit of Heritage Park All-Purpose detergent directly on to the stain and gently rubbing with your hands or cloth. You can also make a concentrated enzyme solution of 1:1 water and our detergent in a spray bottle. Let the item sit for at least 15 minutes before washing.
- Wash in a separate load in cold water on a delicate or permanent-press cycle. Check out our guide to your washing machine’s settings and cycles.
- Don’t overload your machine. Stuffing too many items in your washing machine can cause your bedding to become tangled and twisted. To get clean, your bedding must be able to move freely around the machine, so respect your machine’s capacity. You can always break up a sheet set into two loads if needed.
- Never use bleach or fabric softener. Bleach can damage the fibers in your Brooklinen bedding, causing them to become weaker and more prone to tearing or fraying. It will also turn white sheets yellow and cause colored sheets to fade. Fabric softener leaves a waxy build-up on your sheets that is not good for the fabric (see below on how to soften sheets with wool dryer balls).
- Tumble dry on low heat and skip the dryer sheets. When your sheets are finished, pull them from the washer and shake them out. Tumble dry on low or medium heat, as very high heat can damage fibers and cause a linen sheet or cotton sheet to shrink. Never use dryer sheets, which leave a waxy build up on your linen and the inside of your dryer. Instead, use a set of pure wool dryer balls to shorten drying time and naturally soften your bedding. You can also air dry your Brooklinen bedding indoors or outside away from direct sunlight.
- Store your Brooklinen bedding properly. Once your bedding is clean and dry, store it properly to avoid damage. Fold the bedding neatly and store it in a dry, cool place away from direct sunlight. Avoid storing your bedding in plastic bags, which can trap moisture and cause mildew or mold to grow.
Pro Tip: Fold and store your luxury bedding inside an old cotton pillowcase to protect it.
Special Guidance for Washing Brooklinen Heathered Cashmere Sheets
Brooklinen’s Heathered Cashmere sheets are a blend of premium cotton with 5% Himalayan cashmere. Unlike plant-based cotton, cashmere is a protein-based fiber. In general, we suggest using Heritage Park Silk and Wool Detergent for washing any protein-based fabric such as cashmere, wool, silk, or down. This enzyme-free formula is safer for these fabrics, as they tend to degrade over time if regularly washed with enzyme detergents. We are being particularly cautious, but we suggest using our Silk and Wool formula for washing Brooklinen Heathered Cashmere sheets, even though the actual percentage of cashmere is quite low.
With that said, you can absolutely use our All-Purpose formula to pre-treat any stains on these sheets (follow the guidelines above). Here are a few other precautions we recommend for washing Brooklinen Heathered Cashmere sheets:
- Consider placing your bedding in mesh laundry bags to protect them from snags and burrs inside the machine
- Use cool water and a gentle cycle only
- Hang your Heathered Cashmere sheets to dry if possible
As always, feel free to contact us with any questions about caring for your Brooklinen sheets or with any other laundry- and cleaning-related concerns. We are here to help!
Heritage Park Laundry Essentials
At Heritage Park, caring for fine fabric is our passion. As lifelong collectors of luxury sheets, towels, and cloths, we found many commercially available "gentle detergents" either damaged our fabrics or didn't get the job done, leaving stains. We knew we could do better. So we developed a formula with the perfect balance of powerful -- yet safe -- ingredients designed to remove tough, set-in stains while remaining gentle on luxury linens. Please connect with us at (800) 977-1841 or visit our store or email us with any product feedback or cleaning questions.